Author Interview: Dr. Atul Shah
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am a board certified allergist and a fellow of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology as well as the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. I have treated over 20,000 people with allergies, and won major honors in my field.
2. What do you do when you are not writing?
provide care to children and individuals with allergies and asthma. Spend time with my family and volunteer time to make a difference.
3. Do you have a day job as well?
Yes, I am a medical director of Center4AsthmaAllergy and provider leadership t my team.
4. When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
started writing in Feb 2011 and completed the manuscript August 2011
5. How did you choose the genre you write in?
My mission is to empower allergic kids live great lives, allergy-free. So this was an easy decision to write a story for children named- Allergies, and Awesome You
6. Where do you get your ideas?
from my patients, my own children and from the world around me.
7. Do you ever experience writer’s block?
It was a frequent happening before. Since I have implemented a routine and rituals, it is very infrequent.
8. Do you work with an outline, or just write?
-both, depending on the contents.
9. Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?
Many books and speeches have shaped my thinking and the life in general. One of the books that stands out is “The Monk who Sold is Ferrari- by Robin Sharma”
10. Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
I did not know on where to get started. It took a while to put a team together.
11. If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change?
No, not really. I am very proud of the way the story and the book has come out. As far as getting published is concerned, I guess I needed to learn the process to reach where I am today.
12. How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?
I am still learning and exploring the marketing part but I think it is the online presence and the social media that will make a difference.
13. Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?
No. This is my first love and it is out there.
14. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
The first book is “Allergies, and Awesome You- Believe You can Get There Too!” It is the first in the Amazing Allergist’s Awesome Series for Children. The life story of allergic children with fun illustration and educational resources in the book will empower children and individuals live great lives, allergy-free.
15. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
Yes. It is based on my day to day interactions with allergic children over 16 years as an allergy specialist.
16. What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?
Writing the story of Jack and Samantha was the most fun. I had to put myself in their shoes, playing soccer and experience the childhood again.
17. How did you come up with the title?
Every child is “awesome” in his or her own way. I wanted to write an empowering story for them to believe that they too can live a great life, allergy-free. So the title became obvious – Allergies, and Awesome You. Believe You Can Get There Too!
18. What project are you working on now?
Other books in the Amazing Allergist’s Awesome Series for children.
19. Will you have a new book coming out soon?
The second title that is on the way is – Asthma, and Awesome You.
20. Are there certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you’d love to work with?
The theme is to have a story that will empower children with different allergic conditions, like asthma, eczema, food allergy etc
21. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
Toughest is “what makes you believe that people will read your stories”. The Best is to know that “it is changing lives”. A father, my business associate, has a 5 year old son, who used to wake up every night and will go to parent’s bedroom at 2:00 am. Since they have implemented the fun activities and the “Before Going to Bed” exercises listed in the book, he has not woken up even once in more than 4 weeks.
22. Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?
Believe in your story. Believe that you can do it. The help is out there.
23. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?
I want to thank them for allowing me to share my ideas and knowledge with them through these books and my work. I want them to believe that they too can live great lives, allergy-free.
Can you imagine your life allergy-free?
Yes, yes, and yes. It is possible.
Now, it’s your turn. The AmazingAllergist will show you how.
This book is a part of the AmazingAllergist’s Awesome Series that empowers allergic children to live great lives. It is a by-product of the author’s extensive knowledge, vast experiences, and desire to make a difference, one allergic child at a time.
This book, through a life story of an allergic child, will empower you and your children.
What to expect:
- Definition of allergy and myth busted
- Early allergy recognition information
- A helping hand
- Facts about how you can get better
- Help to overcome fear of allergy tests
- Guidance on controlling allergies at home
- Fun way for a child to learn
- Instructions on overcoming allergen exposure
- Drug-free treatment options
- Information on the proper use of allergy medications
- Allergy vaccination relief information
- Checklist for a great and healthy life
- Wonderful free resources and links
- Reliable science based information
Dr. Atul N. Shah, the AmazingAllergist answers the questions of allergy sufferers, in a very simple, informative style. The book empowers the children and adults with allergy, asthma and related conditions to believe that they can live great lives. The book helps in early recognition of allergic conditions, discusses the scientific methods of diagnosis and management options to be allergy free.
About The Author:
He is a board certified allergist who has earned an honor of fellowships in both the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. He has personally treated more than 20,000 patients, made a significant impact on more than 100,000 lives as an allergist so far, and earned the nickname “AmazingAllergist” from his patients and peers.
His work is rewarded daily with numerous compliments of smiling patients and their families. He has been recognized with various awards, including the America’s Top Physicians’ Award, the Patients’ Choice Award, and the Most Compassionate Physicians’ Award. He believes that every allergic child and individual has a potential to live a great life, allergy-free. His desire to empower allergic individuals translated into this series of books.
Dr. Atul Shah enjoys reading, traveling, and spending time with his family. He calls Long Island, New York, his home, supports various charities, and loves making a difference.
Connect With Him Online: